The RE5R05A is the Nissan/Infiniti five-speed rear-drive transmission used in the Infiniti CX35, FX35, FX45, G35, M35, M35x, M45, Q45 and QX56. It is also used in Nissan 350Z, Frontier, Pathfinder, Armada, Titan and Xterra XE models. This transmission has been on the road in North America since the 2002 model year.
As a result, this transmission is a common sight in many shops; however, the information that is available from Nissan is mostly incomplete, especially valve-body information such as locations of small parts and checkballs as well as valve nomenclature.
There is also confusion concerning checkball locations and valve lineups because there is a difference between the first- and second-design valve bodies. The first design includes models from 2002 to mid-2004, and second design from mid-2004 to the present.
The following illustrations provide both the late and early valve-body information so badly needed in our industry.
Note: There is a third-design valve body that is not shown in this technical bulletin. It can be identified easily, as it has only one neutral-to-reverse accumulator as opposed to two (figures 2 and 7). When it was introduced is unclear at the time of this printing.
- Refer to Figure 1 for identification of first-design upper valve body and solenoids.
- Refer to Figure 2 for identification of valves in first-design upper valve body.
- Refer to Figure 3 for locations of small parts in first-design upper valve body.
- Refer to Figure 4 for checkball locations in first-design lower valve body.
- Refer to Figure 5 for identification of first-design manual valve body.
- Refer to Figure 6 for identification of second-design upper valve body and solenoids.
- Refer to Figure 7 for identification of valves in second-design upper valve body.
- Refer to Figure 8 for locations of small parts in second-design upper valve body.
- Refer to Figure 9 for checkball locations in second-design lower valve body.
- Refer to Figure 10 for identification of second-design manual valve body.
- Refer to Figure 11 for operation of normally applied solenoids.
- Refer to Figure 12 for operation of normally vented solenoids.
- Refer to Figure 13 for operation of normally closed solenoid.
October 2009 Issue
Volume 26, No. 10
- Nissan RE5R05A: First- and Second-Design Valve Bodies