Acouple of months ago we had a customer come into our location with a 2006 Kia Spectra equipped with the 2.0L engine and an A4CF2 transmission. The customer’s concern was that the vehicle would not shift at times. I started the evaluation by checking all the fluids, doing a visual inspection, and conducting a battery and charging system test with the Midtronics analyzer, and everything checked out good. I then moved on to connecting the scan tool to the vehicle and checking all modules for DTCs; the only one that came back was a P0748 (linear solenoid) electrical problem. There was no freeze frame data stored; it probably wouldn’t have helped me with this issue, but I wanted to see if it would at least show the speed or temperature at which the code set. From the customer’s description it sounded like an intermittent issue.
In addition to the OEM-spec remanufactured transmissions we build, we also offer a series of heavy-duty transmissions available in three different stages. This article examines the installation of our Road Ripper™ 3000 (stage 3 unit) in a 2005 Dodge 2500 pickup equipped with a 5.9L diesel and a 618/48RE transmission. The vehicle had been in use for about a month when the customer returned with an issue that the transmission was stuck in gear and would not shift. We did not want any damage to occur by the customer driving the vehicle to our location, so we set up a tow to have the vehicle picked up.
A 2003 Lincoln LS with a 3.9-liter V-8 and 5R55S transmission came into our shop with a grocery list of codes stored, no power, and it didn’t shift. I scanned for codes, found P0715, 717, 718, 731, 732, 733, 734, 745 and P2106. As you can see it had turbine-speed-sensor codes, gear-ratio codes, pressure-control fault and a forced limited power from the TAC. My first thought was that the turbine-speed sensor had failed and as a result of continued driving set the other codes.